Irene successfully lost 22kg at Vision Mosman 4.5 years ago and has kept it off despite having 3 young children. She knows firsthand what the tricks and tips are to ensure you remain on your weight loss journey, and has generously shared them with us to help each of you achieve your very best.
In terms of her training, she made it a priority. There were no more "I didn't have time" excuses, training simply formed part of her routine. Whilst she stuck to the training plan set out with her trainer in her goal sessions, if she could fit in a little more cardio then she would, even if that meant walking to and from the gym.
To keep motivated with her cardio she would:
- Attend as many group sessions as possible
- Set a fitness goal (Sydney marathon) to work towards
- Use the programs on the machines to take the guesswork out of what to do
- Found a training buddy at the gym to keep even more accountable
With nutrition accounting for 70% of results, Irene suggests making sure to fill out your food diary with 100% of what you consume (including alcohol and the occasional lapse). This is because if you have to record everything down it stops you from mindlessly snacking/nibbling. It also allows you to see exactly where your weak times/moments can be. Remember losing weight is a science but keeping it off is psychology.
Here are some other tips from Irene to ensure success:
- Try to eat all your carbs by lunchtime
- Read the labels of what you are eating before you eat it to ensure that you are not duped into thinking something healthy is going to suit your macro requirements
- Skip supper - go and brush your teeth to taint the flavour of anything that follows
- To get a grasp of portion size weigh all food for the first 9 weeks
- Use smaller plates (to give the illusion of eating more)
- Don't pick on kids meals
- Don't leave food lying around - if it's out of sight it's out of mind
- Take food with you to ensure a healthy snack if easy to find
- Plan your meals in advance
- Use spices, herbs to add flavour to food over fats i.e. lemon, chilli, soy,thyme,oregano,sage,mint etc
- Never eat till you're full
- Embrace the feeling of being hungry as an indicator of your tummy starting to shrink
If you cheat, you are only cheating yourself and your results, so think about everything you consume and if you really want it, or if it's just old habits singing out to you. Sometimes it helps to distract yourself with something for 10 minutes.
If you would like more information or a sample of what Irene would eat on an average day email us at firstname.lastname@example.org*Disclaimer: Individual results vary based on agreed goals. Click here for details.