Are you feeling a little sorry for yourself after the Annual Sugar Binge? Otherwise known as "The Holidays"?!
Are you finding it difficult to get back to your normal sleep, exercise and more importantly eating habits after the last few weeks of celebrations? Are you craving dessert after every meal? Well the answer to help you get back to a healthy pattern for your nutrition and exercise could be eating FAT!
Funny that, for years we have been avoiding fat when we felt bloated and pudgy, when really had we been eating some more dietary fat we would have returned to our normal size, shape and energy levels quicker!
So, why is that? Well, as we have touched on in previous posts, fat is an essential nutrient that can only be supplied through our diet, that helps us to feel full and if we are feeding our body enough of this fat then we have the opportunity to increase our fat burning capabilities. But, when waging a war against sugar, fat is incredibly helpful to help kick the habit as it quells the cravings through making us full and it balances the blood sugar and insulin levels in your body-therefore stopping that craving in it's tracks!
So, what do you eat to quell the cravings I hear you ask??!!
I have provided a little swap chart for some of the most craved foods post holidays:
You Crave: Replace with:
* Chocolate * 2 squares of Lindt Excellence 90% Dark Chocolate
* Cake * Home Made Protein Balls (check out my recipe below!)
* Ice Cream * Blended frozen banana, berries and natural yoghurt-
quick, easy and delicious!
* Chips * A handful of natural nuts with a dusting of sea salt flakes
* Sugary Drinks or * Fruit Infused Sparkling water with lots of ice (and a clear
cocktails spirit if wanting some alcohol)
The list is endless of the higher fat swaps you can make to reduce the sugar cravings and get you back on track for 2015, the hardest thing to do is to make the initial change-so your first challenge is to clean out the fridge and pantry-then there's no turning back!
Alex's Sugar Craving Squasher: Chocolate Macaroons
- 1 ½ cups almond meal
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 3 tablespoons Queens maple syrup
- 1 vanilla pod, split and scraped
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- Pinch of Pink Salt
- ¼ cup of Raw Cacao Powder
- ¼ cup of Cacao Nibs
- ¼ cup of Natural Protein Powder
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender for 30 secs or combine by hand in a large mixing bowl.
2. Roll the mixtures into balls and place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
3. Place in the freezer for 20-30mins.
4. Place balls in an airtight container and store in the fridge for a quick treat when a craving hits!
*Disclaimer: Individual results vary based on agreed goals. Click here for details.