Gone are the days of spending hours on the treadmill, trying in vain to burn that unwanted body fat. These days experts agree that resistance training, in particular lifting weights is the most effective way to burn fat and create that toned physique we all desire. However, many women are still scared of lifting weights as they fear it will make them look big and bulky and prefer to stick to cardio to burn off that dreaded fat. However, it couldn't be more the opposite…
1. Whilst you may burn more calories pounding the treadmill, as soon as you hit the stop button you also stop burning calories. With resistance training your body continues to burn calories up to 24 hours after you've finished your workout, meaning you're turning your body into a continuous fat burning machine even once you step out of the gym.
2. The more lean muscle mass you have means the more fuel your body needs and the more effective it becomes at burning this fuel. This is why men tend to find it easier to lose fat than women as they are genetically pre-disposed to have more muscle mass. Therefore, resistance training is essential to build this lean muscle mass in order for your body to work as efficiently as possible and therefore burn unwanted body fat.
3. Resistance training, with the correct technique, helps to reduce injuries by strengthening muscles and joints, meaning the stronger you are, the less likely you are to injure yourself and you can continue training harder and more efficiently. Resistance training also helps increase bone density, which is extremely important especially for women as we age, to prevent osteoporosis.
4. When losing weight with a fad diet or cardio only exercise program, you will lose muscle mass as well. Thus meaning your metabolism slows down and you are more likely to put this weight back on. Incorporating a resistance training program into your fitness regime will ensure that you continue to increase lean muscle mass whilst burning fat.
5. Lastly lifting weights is empowering. There is no better feeling than increasing your resistance each week with your trainer and seeing the results pay off as your body shape changes. It will make you feel more confident in and out of the gym and help you live your everyday lives more efficiently, from running around after kids all day to being on your feet all day to enjoying your favourite hobby at the weekends. Your body becomes a better machine at coping with the everyday stresses we face meaning you can spend more time doing the things you love!
Long story short, the more lean muscle mass you have, the higher your metabolism, meaning the more efficient and quicker your body is at burning fat! Therefore, lift as heavy as you can, safely, follow a tailored weights program, with the correct nutrition and you will see long lasting results in no time!
Remember Ladies, you've gota hustle for that muscle!
*Disclaimer: Individual results vary based on agreed goals. Click here for details.