It is no secret that running is a great choice of aerobic exercise when it comes to improving your cardiovascular system, strengthening your bones and burning off kilojoules to lose that extra weight but what if I told you there is more to it than the physical benefits? Putting on those runners can be an opportunity for you to boost your mental vitality.
When it comes to the psychological benefits, running is known to:
- Lower your stress levels
- Improve the brain's learning and memory systems
- Decrease the chance of age related dementia
- Fight against depression
Running a busy life (pun unintended) may make it difficult to get you started on our feet but perhaps it's just what both your body and mind really needs.
A few tips to get you started:
- Choose a destination or a route that is scenic. (Eg. The Narrabeen Lake loop. Manly to Spit walking track)
- Switch between run and walk.
- Have a friend to keep you company
- Run to the beat of your favourite track
If you still find yourself struggling feel free to chat with me at the studio or even better join our Run Club this Saturday 6am from the studio.*Disclaimer: Individual results vary based on agreed goals. Click here for details.