What is Fartlek training?
First we will begin by understanding what "fartlek" stands for. Fartlek is a Swedish word that means "speed play". Fartlek refers to doing fast exercise mixed together with slow exercise. For example, Jogging mixed with sprinting. It's a technique used to put pressure on 2 of the bodies energy systems. These systems are the "Aerobic" and "Anaerobic".
Aerobic literally means "relating to, involving, or requiring free oxygen". Oxygen is used as the bodies preferred energy source during exercise via the aerobic metabolism. This is a light-to-moderate form of exercise that is performed during an extended period of time. Some sports include swimming, walking and cycling.
Anaerobic is the opposite to Aerobic. It promotes strength, speed and power. This leads to improving your performance during sports and exercises that require you to have short bursts during a high intensity exercise.
What are the benefits of Fartlek training?
- Fartlek training mixes things up instead of doing a long continuous repetitive exercise that can increase the chance of injury due to overuse.
- Gives you the chance to burn more calories during your workout in a shorter period of time.
- It will add a variety to your training that will keep your body stimulated and guessing.
- Great way to train for sport specific results.
- Helps prevent boredom.
- Continuous mix up of routines.
To summarise, Fartlek training is an amazing way of mixing up your workouts to target regular or sport specific exercise in a shorter duration than is required instead of doing a long repetitive exercise such as running.*Disclaimer: Individual results vary based on agreed goals. Click here for details.