What is protein?
Is protein a necessity for our body?
These are questions that often get asked by everybody and here in this article I will be answering these questions for you.
What is protein?
Protein is one of the 3 macronutrients that are essential for building lean muscle tissue. Protein are large molecules built by amino acids which ensure the cells in our body can function properly. There are 2 categories of amino acids. They are essential amino acids and non-essential amino acids. We can find these amino acids or protein in certain foods. When food is consumed it also breaks down the protein from certain foods in order to supply the amino acids we need to the required functions and systems in the body. 1g of protein amounts to 4 calories.
Why is protein essential for our body?
- Protein provides satiety so that you will be full for longer which means that you will not have too much cravings for poor carbohydrates.
- Protein is the body's building blocks for our organs e.g. Hair, skin, muscles, nails etc.
- Some hormones rely on protein to work properly for e.g. immune system, blood and digestive system.
- Protein is essential for building muscle and tissue repair.
- The human body can already produce 11 of the 20 amino acids we need in our body which means that they are non essential but the other 9 amino acids are essential which means it has to be taken in by food or supplements
Sources of protein include:
- Fish e.g. salmon, tuna, barramundi, basa fish fillet etc.
- Meats e.g. Lamb, pork, kangaroo, chicken, beef
- Dairy products
- Soy products e.g. tofu
So in answer to the questions we asked at the beginning.
What is protein? Simply put, protein are the building blocks and the foundations of our body that we require.
Is protein a necessity? Yes, we can agree that protein is a requirement and necessity for normal bodily function.*Disclaimer: Individual results vary based on agreed goals. Click here for details.