2nd Trimester - 13 - 27 Weeks - The Golden Trimester
By the 2nd Trimester morning sickness is usually decreasing or stopped and Mum to be is starting to embrace her changing body. At this stage I felt really good, I started telling everyone I was pregnant and was starting to embrace my changing body and the little belly that was now becoming visible under my clothes.
- Relaxin Hormone will peak in the body at approximately 14 weeks which means all joints and ligaments are supple.
- Some women may start to experience some fluid retention
- Abdominal muscles are now misshapen and can start to affect the lumbar spine at L3-L4
- 25-30% may experience pelvis pain as it becomes unstable
- No lying on your back after 18 weeks, this is said to place pressure on the Vena Carva which returns blood to the heart.
- May experience dizziness, blurred vision and light headedness.
Diastasis Recti - Abdominal Separation
Diastatsis Recti is the separation of the rectus abdominis muscle characterized by a diamond shape at the naval. This occurs in 30% of pregnancies - especially multiple births. Diastasis Recti can happen any time from 16 weeks onwards and is more likely to happen to those ladies with hard abdominals.
Mums with Diasatasis Recti will usually experience back pain and it is important that mums begin appropriate Transverse Abdominal Exercises which will help keep her core muscles strong and help the abdominals return to their original position after child birth. If your abdominal muscles are not strong and do not come back together within 12 months, they will remain separated.
3rd Semester - 28-40 Weeks
By the 3rd Trimester most Mum's are starting to get quite large and feeling quite uncomfortable. Getting a good night sleep is usually difficult as it is hard to get comfortable and you find yourself going to the toilet several times a night. I remember in my 3rd Trimester my sister suggested we go for walk so I went to put on some trainers to find out that they no longer fitted and I had to go for a walk in ballet flats. Once out walking I only made it to the end of my street before I was so out of breath I just had to return home, exhausted!
- Shortness of breath and tired
- Fluid Retention - blood not getting back to the heart as efficiently
- Back Pain and Breast Pain
- An extra 300kj is recommended for the 3rd Trimester
- Noticeable Pelvic Tilt as the back arches to help Mum
For more information contact Vision Personal Training Prahran