It's perhaps the most horrendous smell of all time. The unwashed funky protein shaker. Does your protein shaker smell like death? Try these 5 tips to remove that foul smell.
Yes, Mum, we know we are meant to rinse them immediately after use. But we've all done it; we've all left a bit of residue in our shaker and forgotten about it sitting there in our car or gym backpack. As the protein lies in the shaker, it clumps together, hardens and becomes smelly.
When one is discovered in a locker or in our studio, our trainers run for cover, like someone is just about to release an atomic bomb.
They can get pretty gross, and it might seem you can never remove the smell of death from it, but here are five tips you can try to freshen it up and bring it back to life.
1. Rinse it out with hot water as soon as you have finished your protein drink (yep, just like Mum told you to)
2. Fill it with boiling water, add a few drops of liquid detergent and let it sit for about 15 mins. Give it a good shake to remove any clumps and rinse with clean water.
3. Fill it with three teaspoons of baking soda, add 400ml of water, shake for about 1 min and then let it stand for a few hours.
4. Try a white vinegar rinse. Use one part vinegar to one part water. Stand for a couple of hours and finish with a soap and clean water rinse.
5. Fill the shaker with warm water and drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets, let it sit for an hour, rinse and then dry. (I once found a shaker under my car seat that had been left there for two weeks in summer and using this method returned it to usable!)
And for all you parents out there - I can let you know first hand that the same tips work for formula left in babies bottles which often end up in obscure hiding places.
Let us know if you have any other handy hints, I've even heard of someone using vodka to remove the smell. Maybe don't try that one in the baby bottle!
Amanda Doyle has been a personal trainer in the eastern suburbs for 7 years, is a proud mum and the co-owner of Vision Personal Training Randwick. Along with her husband Wes Doyle and her sister Stephanie O'Brien, the three make a passionate trio whose commitment to their community is reflected in the outstanding reputation that Vision Randwick has developed over the past 11 years.*Disclaimer: Individual results vary based on agreed goals. Click here for details.