Do you struggle to wake up early in the morning to exercise, or to exercise after a long day at work?
Motivation is the level of one's desire. The desire to achieve goals.
Many people struggle with motivation when they are tired, anxious, stressed or a little bit under the weather.
It is important to be aware that commitment comes before motivation. This means, despite feeling tired, anxious, stressed or a little bit under the weather, it's important we keep our goals in mind and stay on track to the best of our ability. Remember, something is always better than nothing.
Here are 5 tips to help you stay motivated!
- Be Organised
- Write down the day you will exercise (including those outside of your gym sessions).
- Write down your dinners for the week.
- When you are organised and have planned for the week ahead, stress levels will decline because exercise is no longer something you need to 'squeeze' in somewhere.
- Set goals
- Think SMART; specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, timely
- Write your goals down on a piece of paper and stick it somewhere you will see it often, such as on a wall in your bedroom, your mirror or in your car.
- Setting goals allows you to feel a sense of achievement.
- Be consistent through routine and habit
- I cannot stress enough how important it is to be consistent when it comes to achieving goals!
- Being consistent involves making healthy eating part of your lifestyle, not just a temporary "diet".
- Being consistent also involves following a training program every week.
- Make it a routine or a habit; for example: Every Sunday I will plan my lunches and dinners for the week.
- Do exercise that you ENJOY
- Not everyone enjoys running, so why not try boxing, group classes, swimming, bush walking or cycling.
- Do social activities that involve moving such as rock climbing, mini golf, hiking, stand up paddle boarding and canoeing.
- If you are feeling tired, listen to your body and know when to rest it or when to change the intensity of your exercise sessions.
- Eat meals full of flavour
- Make use of herbs and spices.
- Eat plenty of fresh and unprocessed foods full of vitamins and minerals.
- Eating nutritious meals will help you recover quicker from being sick and will provide your body with the energy it needs!
- Don't forget to check out the MyVision app for healthy recipes and ask your trainer for their favourite recipes too!
Remember to take things one step at a time. Try not to overload yourself as you may find you will burn out quickly. Start with following one or two of these tips and gradually implement the others. Keep in mind that commitment comes before motivation.
Be organised, set goals, remain consistent, do exercise you enjoy and eat fresh, flavourful meals.
*Disclaimer: Individual results vary based on agreed goals. Click here for details.