We all know the nutritious benefits of eating loads of vegetables. From increased fibre to all the various micronutrients we need to function efficiently; it's important to fill up with fresh vegies. Many people think this means eating mounds of broccoli, sweet potato, kale and munching on celery sticks, but there is so much more to vegetables. Here are some ideas that cover all times of the day.
- Add spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, capsicum and avocado to your breakfast eggs
- A green juice with cucumber, spinach, lemon, apple and mint
- Breakfast burrito with egg, avocado, lettuce, tomato, cheese and Mexican seasoning
- Use leftover vegies to stir-fry together including potato, onion, mushrooms, beans, corn and celery. Throw a boiled egg and some cashews on top and you have a delicious start to the day
- A salsa made up of tomato, cucumber, celery and capsicum sitting in the fridge is an easy go-to if you want a snack with ham, hummus and crackers
- Zucchini muffins are a great snack and can be packed with a variety of vegies
- Salads can be made up of any vegies - variety depends on what you have in the fridge, what combo of herbs you use to bring in some flavour and what style of dressing you create
- Imagination is unlimited - some of my favourite combinations include; beetroot, carrot, apple, onion, coriander, mint and almonds. Add oil to combine and salt to taste. Also, cauliflower, carrot, fennel, zucchini, lemon juice and mint. Dress with oil, middle eastern Dukkha and add salt to taste. You can add chickpeas and almonds or serve with Baba Ganoush on mountain bread
- For a warm salad use leftover roasted vegies - the more variety the better! Add rocket, toasted pine nuts, oregano and make a simple dressing with mustard, olive oil and lemon juice
- Quiche or frittata is an easy alternative and again you can use any variety of vegies in your fridge
- Soup is easy, nourishing and can be made ahead of time and leftovers used for lunches
- Vegetable lasagne is a great way of getting lots of vegies in at once and flavoured with Mediterranean herbs it is amazing
- If you like Asian style cooking a vegie stir-fry or curry is super easy and tasty
So get creative and try something new. There are plenty of online recipes and Vision Virtual Training is full of fantastic ideas. Share them with your friends and create a community of vegie lovers
*Disclaimer: Individual results vary based on agreed goals. Click here for details.