Food that gives you more than just a good taste in your mouth! These foods have great health benefits and will keep you satisfied for longer.
- Oatmeal - As the weather gets colder, a great start to the day is a warming bowl of oatmeal. Oatmeal is rich in fibre and will keep you satisfied for much longer than most grains. Add to this a spoonful of natural almonds and top with sliced banana or some berries for a wonderful start to the day.
- Salad - salad may not be what you feel like eating in Autumn and Winter however it is the perfect way to start a meal because it helps to fill you up and slow you're the desire to eat a large main meal. Salad greens like curly endive and arugula have the added benefit of helping to digest food due to their "bitter" taste which stimulates enzymes which in turn break down food more readily. Just don't add oily or creamy dressing!!
- Cottage Cheese - often forgotten, cottage cheese has a good balance of carbs, fats and protein which help to fill you up. Use it as a topping for fruit, wholegrain crackers combined with salad.
- Nuts - a small handful of nuts (unsalted of course) contain healthy unsaturated fats and protein to keep you satisfied. This is a great snack choice, perfect combined with the above or on top of your oatmeal.
- Quinoa - this is a great choice of grain. It's a much better substitute for rice, contains good fibre and protein. Quinoa is ideal to have with your lunch combined with salad and lean protein.
- Fish - salmon and tuna have the added omega 3 fats which keep you satisfied for longer. These fish choices also have wonderful healthy heart properties and help to reduce inflammation.
- Beans - beans are so good for you! They are rich in fibre so they keep you fuller longer. There are so many ways to enjoy beans, in soups, casseroles, dips, salads, pasta dishes.
- Apples - a great fruit choice. Apples are filled with fibre and are low in calories. They are also the perfect snack on the go.
- Wholegrain pasta - this pasta is a better choice than refined white pasta due to the fact that it has a higher fibre content. Good choices would be barley, oats or brown rice pasta.
- Popcorn! - Air popped of course. Popcorn makes a good snack choice. Its low in calories and tastes delicious.
Happy eating*Disclaimer: Individual results vary based on agreed goals. Click here for details.