We are at war with the food industry!
This may sound a little extreme but we are competing with millions of dollars being funnelled into marketing and sensory stimulation to make us addicted to the foods that massive companies want us to consume so that they can make a profit.
Studies have shown that the over indulgent food that is so readily available these days actually triggers the opioid receptors in our brains, creating a similar effect to class A drugs. It creates neural pathways and works on the reward system in the brain which makes us seek out that same feeling that a certain "comfort" food has created, again and again, sometimes completely unconsciously. Lots of money is being spent on creating the perfect combination of sugar, fat and salt to reach the "bliss point" and have the most addictive effect. Countless hours spent on the right look, smell, texture, consistency and palatability.
We need to understand that these tactics are being implemented intentionally to sell more products. We need to be educated about what these foods are doing to us. Not only putting on weight but causing all kinds of health issues such as insulin resistance, high blood pressure and heart disease. We also need to understand that we are at a disadvantage from the get-go. But you are not helpless against these giants.
Firstly here's what you need to identify:
- Danger foods - foods that you know are bad for you but you just can't resist.
- Danger times - Times of the day when you know you are more likely to eat the wrong foods, whether it be due to tiredness, stress etc.
- Danger locations - Places where you always tend to eat the wrong foods - Work lunch at the pub for example.
- Danger people - The people in your circle of influence who you know will encourage you to eat the wrong foods. Guaranteed you will be influenced by the people you spend the most amount of your time with!
Once you have identified these problem areas then you can go about putting into place an action plan to break your bad habits.
Now here's what you need to do:
- Replace one bad habit with a new beneficial one that can also stimulate those feel-good chemicals…yes you guessed it, exercise is a perfect choice! When you feel the urge to eat that chocolate bar, get moving instead.
- Replace those sugar filled, nutrient void, high GI foods with nutrient dense, low GI foods that will actually nourish your body and keep your blood sugar levels stable.
- Improve your circle of influence by steering clear of the people in your life who are opposed to your weight loss/fitness journey and educate your loved ones who simply don't understand what it is that you're doing.
- Avoid the danger locations at all costs. Follow a different route to work if you will be passing by the Bakery that makes those amazing cinammon swirls.
- Take action! Get help from a professional to get you started. Taking that first step is the hardest but once you start to get some momentum and feel/look better things will start to snowball and the results will be life changing. It doesn't need to be painful.
Take control of your health and wellbeing and not only will you feel better, look better, have more energy, more vitality and be happier but you will also be empowering yourself, so make a move right now.*Disclaimer: Individual results vary based on agreed goals. Click here for details.